Being part of the rent team, I’ve seen first-hand some of the struggles people have had paying rent. We want to make paying your rent as easy as possible and help where we can. Did you know that while Bury residents are the most likely to claim the Pension Credit in Greater Manchester, £4 million is still unclaimed? You could be entitled to more money than you are receiving and I’m going to help you find out more about different credits and allowances that could benefit you.

Top up with Pension Credit

You could be amongst the 50,000 households eligible for Pension Credit across Greater Manchester that aren’t claiming it.

If you’re single and your weekly income, including your pension, is below £175.20, or below £268.50 if you’re in a couple, you might be entitled to a top up by applying for Pension Credit. 

As well as possibly claiming more than £60 extra a week, people who get Pension Credit can also get a free TV licence, free dental treatment and eye tests.

If you apply for Pension Credit, you may be able to get up to three months backdated payment from the day you were first entitled through to the date you apply. Some people have had as much as £1,000 in backdated payments.

You could still be entitled to Pension Credit even if you have savings, a private pension, or you own your own home.

Attendance Allowance

If you need care to live independently in your home, you might be entitled to Attendance Allowance. You must be over state pension age (currently 65 ½) and need what’s called ‘frequent attention’ from someone else during the day such as help with eating, washing and dressing.

If you fulfil either the day or the night conditions, the maximum attendance allowance is currently £59.70 a week. If you fulfil both the day and the night conditions, it’s £89.15 a week.

If you are living in one of our Extra Care schemes, then you can get Attendance Allowance if you pay all your own fees. Otherwise, you cannot claim it.

Council Tax Reduction

If you live alone, your Council Tax should be reduced by 25%. Check if ‘reduction for single occupancy’ is shown on your bill. If it’s not, then inform Bury council and ask for it to be backdated to whenever you started living alone at your address.

If you receive Pension Credit, then your Council Tax bill could be reduced further and, in some cases, there will be no Council Tax to pay.

Find out more

If you think you’re eligible for this support, simply contact us, text your name and address to 07797800730 or email and we will contact you. We assist you to complete any applications and answer and questions you may have.

Alternatively, you can find out more here.

- Blog by Sue Currie, Neighbourhood Advisor.

  Back to news