We have collected a number of services available that can offer support and advice when it comes to bills, debts and benefits.

Winter payments

Warm Home Discount

You could get £140 (planned £10 increase) off your electricity bill for winter. If you do not receive it automatically, you will need to apply through your energy supplier.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. You should receive this automatically from the government in November or December, but you can call the helpline to confirm on 0800 731 0160.

Cold Weather Payments

If the temperature where you live is an average of 0°C or below over seven consecutive days, you will get £25. It is based on the benefits you receive and will also be paid automatically.

All UK households will receive a grant that will reduce energy bills by £400 from October.

The discount will be made automatically by your energy supplier, they should provide you with further details of how and when you will receive the grant. It is important they have up to date contact details for you to communicate payment details. The payments will usually be split over the winter months.

A £650 payment will be made to low-income households

Those who receive Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Pension Credits and other means-tested benefits will be paid £650 in two installments – one in July and one at a further date to be confirmed in Autumn.

What are you entitled to?

Check to see what you’re entitled to on the Turn2Us website or the Entitledto website.

Money Advice

Many energy companies have specific funding for customers experiencing financial hardship and struggling to pay their gas and electricity bills. If you have gas or electricity bills that you cannot pay, it is important to let your supplier know. They will want to help you find a way of settling the amount, perhaps by spreading out repayment over a longer period. It is best to contact them quickly rather than let the debt mount up.  You can also contact Citizens Advice for help here.

Cheaper broadband or phone

You may be eligible to move onto a social tariff if you’re struggling to afford your broadband or phone services.

Help paying your Water Bill

If you are having difficulties paying your water bill, contact United Utilities. Many water companies run hardship schemes or fund independent charitable trusts which can help you pay your bills or provide advice and other help.

Priority Services Register

Register with your energy company for the priority service register to provide extra service and help.

Electricity Northwest (electricity provider) - register by calling 0800 195 41 41.

Cadent (gas network provider) - register by calling 0800 389 8000.

Book an appointment with our Energy Advisor

We are offering appointment slots to meeting with our Energy Advisor. There appointments with be during normal working hours (9am -5pm), Monday to Thursday, between October and March. You can book an appointment via the contact centre on 0161 686 8000 or enquiries@sixtownhousing.org  

Other sources of advice

National Energy Action – 0800 304 7159 - www.nea.org.uk/advice

Step Change - 0800 138 1111 - www.stepchange.org

National Debtline - 0808 808 4000 - www.nationaldebtline.org

Money Advice Service - 0800 138 7777 - www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en

Help for Household - https://helpforhouseholds.campaign.gov.uk/housing-support/

Simple Energy Advice - https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk/

Energy Saving Trust - https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/hub/quick-tips-to-save-energy/

Six Town Housing - https://www.sixtownhousing.org/your-home/energy-efficiency/

  Back to news