The Money Advice Service was set up by the government to offer you free impartial advice and guidance to help improve your finances. Their website covers a range of tips and advice including budgeting, pensions and benefits. You can also talk to them on the phone, webchat and WhatsApp.

They have a lot of information and advice for when you are struggling to pay your rent. Some of their advice includes identifying the problem and working out an action plan to reduce your monthly expenses as well as seeing what benefits may be available to you to boost your current income.

If you need support they suggest you start by budgeting your income and your expenses and identifying where you can afford to cut back or even increase your income.

Reducing monthly expenses can be difficult but the Money Advice Service say it is the easiest and quickest way to save money for priority payments such as your rent or utility bills. They have a useful Budget Planner that can be used for making your action plan here.

While losing income for whatever reason can be very stressful to deal with, you might be able to claim benefits to help with important payments, such as your rent. If you’re claiming Universal Credit for the first time, you can contact us for advice and help on how to do this. Alternatively, you can call the Citizens Advice Bureau for Bury and Bolton on 0800 144 8444 or visit their page about Universal Credit here.

The Citizens Advice Bureau will also advise that you talk to your landlord or housing management organisation if you are struggling with rent, and we would just like to echo this and say that we are here to help. We can offer personal support and advice to help you out of rent arrears or general struggle to pay rent. Contact us here and we will get in touch with you soon.

  Back to news