Working in the rents team during Covid-19 has made me aware of a lot of difficult situations some of our tenants might be in. It can be really stressful being worried about not only your health, but your income. That’s why I’m writing this blog, to offer some advice on how one of the services can help you.

If you are asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, it is your legal requirement to do so. Some of you could be eligible for a £500 payment to help you over your isolation period. You are eligible if all of the following apply:

       - You have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because:

o   You have tested positive for COVID-19 or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive

o Your period of self-isolation began on or after 28 September 2020

o You are employed or self-employed

o You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result

       - You are in receipt of one of the following:

o   Universal Credit

o   Working Tax Credit

o   Income-based Employment and Support Allowance

o   Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance

o   Income Support

o   Housing Benefit

o   Pension Credit

Unless you have also been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, you cannot get a payment if you are:

       - In quarantine after travelling abroad

       - On furlough - the payment is for people who cannot work because they are self-isolating

       - Unable to work because you are looking after a child who cannot attend school because of a COVID-19 outbreak

       - Unable to work because your employer has closed due to a local lockdown

You can apply for the support payment from when you are asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace and within 14 days of your self-isolation period ending.

People may be stressed at the moment because they are worrying about how they will pay for certain necessities if they are asked to isolate, so I hope that becoming aware of some of the help that is available, this may help some of our tenant’s wellbeing.

We’re in difficult time and no one deserves to be stressed about money as well as their health. You can apply for the Test and Trace support payment here.

- Blog by Assistant Rent Advisor, Lynn Aimer

  Back to news