From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update

Could you top up with Pension Credit

If you or someone you know have reached State Pension Age you or they might qualify for some additional money on top of what is already received.

Don’t miss out – check whether you can claim extra money that you’re entitled to here.

Almost 50,000 households eligible for Pension Credit across Greater Manchester are not claiming it, and the government is encouraging people to apply for it. 

It doesn’t cost you anything to find out and you could be much better off if you qualify.

The Citizen Advice Bureau (CAB) can carry out a trial calculation for you and then help you with the claim process if you are not comfortable using the online service. Find out more here.

If you need help from CAB or the Pension Credit claim line (details below), you will need information about the following for you and your partner (if applicable):

  • Your State Pension - how much you get and how often it is paid. Both members of a couple need to have reached state pension age to qualify.
  • Any other pensions you have - it may be useful to have a recent statement to hand with information about the amount you have in other pensions.
  • Details about other social security benefits, such as Carer's Allowance - you should have a letter about this or it might show on your bank statement.
  • Your savings and investments over £10,000 - have statements to hand.
  • Earnings - pay slips showing what you have earned and any deductions made.

When you have all this information, just go online or phone the CAB or Pension Credit claim line below and they will help you through the process.

Pension Credit claim line

Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 99 1234
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users: check you can use this service

Telephone lines operate on a Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Find out about call charges.

To apply by post, print out and fill in the Pension Credit claim form or call the claim line to request a form.

Send the claim form to the Pension Service, or ask someone to do it for you.

You will not get the benefit of deferring your State Pension if you or your partner are on Pension Credit. For example, you will not build up extra State Pension or a lump sum for deferring your State Pension. When working out if you can get Pension Credit, the income you’d get from your State Pension is included whether you’re claiming it or not. The calculation does not include:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Christmas Bonus
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Housing Benefit

Council Tax Reduction

If you’re registered for Self-Assessment, you must tell the Pension Service how much Income Tax you expect to pay for the current tax year - this affects how much Pension Credit you’ll get.

You cannot use the trial calculation service if you or your partner:

  • Are deferring your State Pension
  • Own more than one property
  • Are self employed
  • Have housing costs (such as service charges or Crown Tenant rent) which are neither mortgage repayments nor rent covered by Housing Benefit
If you would talk to an operator click here and speak to Money Advice Service.