From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit has replaced a range of existing means tested benefits and tax credits for people of working age. It combines the following 6 benefits into one payment:

● Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

● Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

● Income Support

● Child Tax Credit

● Working Tax Credit

● Housing Benefit

The Benefit Cap will be put on the amount you can claim.

Why has the Government introduced Universal Credit?

The Government has a number of objectives in introducing Universal Credit:

● Benefits should be easier to understand and easier to claim

● Everyone should be better off working, as opposed to claiming benefits.

● There should be a smooth transition between being out of work and starting a job.

● As someone’s wages increase they should be able to keep more of the money they earn.

How will I claim Universal Credit?

It will be administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. Their aim is that the majority of customers will make their claims either online or via call centres. Bury Council will no longer deal with most claims for Housing Benefit.

How will I receive my payments of Universal Credit?

The aim is to make one payment per household, every month, directly to the person making the claim.

This will affect people who currently have their Housing Benefit paid directly to their landlords.

Visit to find out more about benefits and what you are entitled to.