From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update

Useful Information 

We have listed several companies and charities below that might be able to help you get back in control of debt or provide you with advice on money matters.

We know that it's a very worrying time right now with the cost of living increase. Our Energy Advisor, Tenant Engagement and Rent Income Team have worked together to provide you a cost of living guide where you can find information on help, support and advice that’s available.

Click on the links below to view all the pages. 

Payments and benefits to help with your bills

Contact information for money and debt advice services

Help with bills

Priority Service

Energy Saving Tips 

Become a savvy shopper

Support from Bury Council and Community Groups

Tenant's Top Tips 

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). The DWP is the government department responsible for welfare and employment issues, formerly known as the Department of Social Security (DSS). More advice and information can be found on the DWP website.

Housing Benefit. Check if you are eligible for Housing Benefit (and Council Tax Support) and make a claim.

Bury Support Fund. This is a discretionary fund to help people in exceptional need and without the financial means to provide for themselves. The scheme has limited funds, therefore we must place conditions on how the awards are made to ensure that we are able to help as many eligible people as possible. Support is delivered in the form of:

● Food parcels,

● Prepaid cards to purchase gas, electricity or goods

There are no cash payments or payments made into bank accounts.

Manchester Credit Union. Credit unions are non-profit making financial co-operatives owned and controlled by their members. They offer savings, great value loans and insurance products, plus they are local and ethical and exist solely to benefit their members. Members pool their savings and these savings are loaned out to other members. Follow the above link for details on how to join Manchester Credit Union.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). The Bury and Bolton CAB can help people resolve their money problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. Visit the CAB website for more advice and information.

Local CAB sessons are run at St John's House, 155-163 The Rock, Bury, Greater Manchester, BL9 0ND. If you are a Six Town Housing tenant and would like to make an appointment, we can complete a referral for you if you call us on 0161 686 8000

Step Change Debt Charity. Step Change has a team of debt experts who help over 500,000 people a year across the UK to overcome their debt problems, and get their lives back on track. 

The Money Advice Service debt advice locator tool

This is a new tool launched by the Money Advice Service to help people quickly and easily locate their nearest face to face debt advice provider.

National Debt Line. The National Debt Line offers free debt advice online through its digital advice tool and web guides, fact sheets and sample letters.

Debt Advice Foundation. The Debt Advice Foundation is a national debt advice and education charity offering free, confidential support and advice to anyone worried about debt.


Pay Plan. PayPlan's supportive team of advisers help thousands of people beat their debts every year, and treat all of their calls with the strictest confidence.

CAP Bury Debt Centre. CAP is a charity that provides free face-to-face debt advice, with ongoing support available by telephone.

Money and Pensions Service. The Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) brings together three respected financial guidance bodies: the Money Advice Service, The Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise. MaPS is an arm’s-length body sponsored by the Department for Work and Pensions, established at the beginning of 2019, and also engages with HM Treasury on policy matters relating to financial capability and debt advice.