From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update

Energy Bills

Always speak to your energy supplier if you’re struggling to pay bills. Under rules from your regulator Ofgem, your supplier must help you – usually by negotiating a payment plan that you can afford. You can also check if you’re eligible to apply for an energy fund. They can help you in lots of different ways including options where you can assist with clearing debt. Here are some links that can help you apply for an energy fund.

British Gas Energy Trust  

EDF Energy Fund 

EON Energy Fund   

Scottish Power Hardship Fund  

National Energy Action (NEA) 

Disability Energy Support

Stepchange Grant and Funding to Pay for Energy Bills

Government’s Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Fund

Broadband or Phone bills 

You may be eligible to move onto a social tariff if you’re struggling to afford your broadband or phone services. Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband. For more information, click here.

Good Things Foundation developed the National Databank to help people experiencing data poverty to access the internet. The National Databank distributes free mobile data, texts and calls to people through community organisations.

If you are unable to afford an internet connection to meet essential needs, you may be experiencing data poverty. Data poverty means that you can't do things like apply for a job online, bank online or access essential services, due to having no internet connectivity.

We can give free data to people who are over 18 years old and from a low-income household and qualify in one or more of the following statements:

  • Have no access or insufficient access to the internet at home.
  • And/or have no or insufficient access to the internet when away from home.
  • And/or cannot afford their existing monthly contract or top up.

If you think you may qualify, please contact us via

Water Bill

If you are having difficulties paying your water bill, contact United Utilities. Many water companies run hardship schemes or fund independent charitable trusts which can help you pay your bills or provide advice and other help. Visit the United Utilities website to find out more.