Useful Information 

We have listed several companies and charities below, that might be able to help you get back in control of debt or provide you with advice on money matters.


Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is the government department responsible for welfare and employment issues, formerly known as the Department of Social Security (DSS).  More advice and information can be found on the DWP website.


Housing Benefit surgery 

Our Housing Benefit Surgery provides you with expert advice, information and support on housing benefit that can help you maximise your money and how you use it.

Drop in sessions are at at the Six Town Housing office in central Bury (6 Knowsley Place) every Wednesday 9.30am – 12.30pm

Bury Support Fund

This is a discretionary fund to help people in exceptional need and without the financial means to provide for themselves.

The scheme has limited funds, therefore we must place conditions on how the awards are made to ensure that we are able to help as many eligible people as possible. Support is delivered in the form of:

● Food parcels,

● Prepaid cards to purchase gas, electricity or goods

There are no cash payments or payments into bank accounts.

Click here to find out more


Bury Council can offer you more help and support with Housing Benefit and Council Tax.  Please visit their website for more information.


Manchester Credit Union   Credit unions are non-profit making financial co-operatives owned and controlled by their members. They offer savings, great value loans and insurance products, plus they are local and ethical and exist solely to benefit their members. Members pool their savings and these savings are lent out to other members. 

Follow the above link for details on how to join the credit union.


Citizens Advice Bureau helps people resolve their money problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.  Visit the CAB website for more advice and information.

Six Town Housing In partnership with CAB offer drop in sessions here at our Six Town Housing office at 6 Knowsley Place, Angouleme Way, Bury on Tuesdays and Fridays – 9.30am to 1.30pm.

Or you can make an appointment for Mondays and Thursdays from 9.30am – 12.30pm

To book an appointment please ring Six Town Housing on 0161 686 8000.


Step Change Debt Charity has a team of debt experts who help over 500,000 people a year across the UK to overcome their debt problems, and get their lives back on track.

More advice and information can be found on the Step Change website. 

The Money Advice Service debt advice locator tool

This is a new tool launched by the Money Advice Service to help people quickly and easily locate their nearest face to face debt advice provider.