From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update

How to check your rent statement 

We no longer send out paper rent statements but there are many ways to view your statement and check your balance, find out how below.

View Rent Statement: Click here to view your rent statemnt online.

Register for a online account: Please email to let us know you would like to setup an online account, providing us with your name and address. We will send you a Client Number and Password so that you can log in to your account below.

I need a paper statement: Please contact us if you require a paper statement at any time and one will be posted to you.

How is your rent set?

Bury Council sets your rent every year in line with guidelines set by the Government.

This is to ensure the rent you pay is fair and similar to the rent paid by other tenants living in the same type of property in the area you live.

Contact us if you want to know more about the formula we use to work out your rent or if you disagree with the rent that has been set for your home.

We will let you know in writing of any changes in your rent 28 days before the changes come into effect.

Paid too much?

If you owe money to Bury Housing Services, any credit on your account will be used to make these payments first.

If you need to request a refund, please contact us.

Having difficulty paying your rent?

Rent is a priority debt and needs to be paid in advance without fail. It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes in your circumstances.

There may be times when you have difficulties paying your rent or arrears payments. This might be due to losing your job, changes to benefits, or changes to the income of people who live with you.

We’re here to help:

Please contact us with a comepleted Income & Expenditure form including as much detail as possible about your circumstances along with your name, address, telephone number and email address, and one of our specialists advisors will be in touch to assist you.

Support and Advice:

If you’re struggling with money, then support and advice is available. Find out more here.