From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update

You must seek our permission to carry out any alterations to our property prior to carrying out any work. If you do not, this may result in you incurring costs as well as being in breach of your tenancy agreement.

Please read the full terms and conditions in regards to alterations

The terms and conditions include information on:

  • Electrical work – in all instances this must be carried out by a certified professional and certificates must be provided to us
  • Gas installations – in all instances this must be carried out by a certified professional and certificates must be provided to us
  • Building control
  • Off road parking / hard standings
  • Laminated flooring
  • Gardens, sheds and out buildings – must not exceed our specification
  • Satellite dishes and aerials

It is the responsibility of the tenant/leaseholder to ensure all work is carried out by a competent person. Costs for maintenance and repair of this work is the responsibility of the tenant/leaseholder. We reserve the right to request the removal of any items/structures deemed unsafe. Removal will be at the cost of the tenant/leaseholder. We will recharge you for any costs we incur.


The right to appeal does not apply to automatic refusals

The below alteration and/or improvement request/s will not be considered throughout the borough. Applications received for automatic refusals will not receive a response.

• If you do not pay your rent and do not have an agreed payment plan in place

• Loft conversions including boarding/lighting and storage. Please note tenants are not permitted to utilise or enter the loft space.

• Balconies

• Gas fires

• Open fires Inc. log and coal burners

• Pond/s

• Conservatories 

• Mono-pitched roof – often referred to as lean to 

• Build or remove extensions/partition walls

• Garages

• CCTV in communal areas and/or to record outside of the boundary of the property

• CCTV on flats/apartments and areas directly overlooking areas of public use

• CCTV to record personal property on public land Inc. but not limited to vehicles parked on a public road

• Fencing/hedging/storage to communal gardens and/or areas

• Vehicle storage Inc. mobility scooters/motorbike/mopeds/scooters/bicycle in communal areas/gardens.

• Flat/s – if a satellite dish is already in situ 

• Laminated flooring in flats excluding ground floor

• Alterations and/or improvements to shared and communal areas including but not limited to sheds and storage - The parts of a building which all tenants can use – for example, halls, stairways, entrances, landing, shared gardens and landscaped areas

• Paving – Full paving of gardens

• Decking – to the front garden

• Decking – that is requested to be fixed and/or placed to the exterior of the property

• Driveways – where the property is situated at a junction and/or bend.

• Showers and/or baths – replacing level access showers with baths in ground floor flats and bungalows 

• Driveways – to store caravans/motorhomes/horse boxes

• Replacement of fire door/s

• Cat flaps and/or any independent animal access which requires alterations to the composite door. 

• PVC and uPVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Front and rear external doors -

• Storage containers – delivery of items only, the container must not be retained on the property.

• Hot Tubs - Temporary or permanent 

• Bars/structures for offices/socialising structures inc. pubs/bars/BBQ Huts/Pizza Huts

• Pergolas/Gazebos/canopy

• Outdoor electrical sockets 

• Parking of caravans and motorhomes/van conversions 

• Electric car charging points - If you do not have an accessible driveway 

• Security lights that beam outside of the boundary of the property

• Structural changes to the property including but not limited to the removal of chimneys and internal walls.

• Creating additional rooms i.e. dividing one room in to two rooms

Please ensure that your alteration does not fall into the automatic refusal category before you apply.

All applications to carry out alterations must be made using this online form.