Alterations - Terms & Conditions


1. General alterations

2. Electrical alterations

3. Gas installations and the installation of tenants' own appliances

4. Compliance with Building Regulations and Planning Permission

5. Vehicular Hard Standings

6. Laminated flooring

7. Changes to garden areas/sheds & out buildings

8. Satellite dishes/aerials

General alterations

It is the responsibility of the tenant/leaseholder to ensure that all alterations are carried out by a competent person.

Electrical alterations

Any electrical work must be carried out by a qualified electrician who is registered under the Government’s ‘Domestic Part P’ installer scheme.

Gas installations and the installation of tenants' own appliances

Please note that under the Gas Safety (Installation and use) Regulations 1998, Bury Council as a landlord must ensure that all proposed work relating to gas appliances or gas pipe work within their properties is carried out in accordance with current standards and legislation. Prior to permission being granted, a gas safety inspector will need to visit the property to inspect the suitability of the new installation.

You will be responsible for all future costs incurred for the maintenance of the new appliance or fitting. This will include (in accordance with the current Gas Safety Regulations) the annual service of the gas appliance, to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer within a time period not exceeding every 12 months. You must ensure that a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate issued by the Gas Safe registered engineer is available for inspection by the nominated gas contractors during their annual gas safety check of the property.

Prior to vacating the property you will be responsible for re fitting the original council appliance, this must be installed to its original specification by a Gas Safe registered engineer who must issue a Gas Safety Certificate for the re-installation of the original appliance. Failure to re-fit the original appliance will result in the cost of re-fitting the appliance being levied to you. It is therefore recommended that the original council gas appliance is safety stored, undamaged and in a dry place.

The authority reserves the right to isolate any tenant owned appliance that does not hold a valid landlords safety check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 

Six Town Housing do not give permission for the installation of new, refurbished or replacement gas fires in Bury Council owned properties.

We would advise that you do not purchase any new appliances until your property has been inspected by us and permission has been granted.

Compliance with Building Regulations and Planning Permission

It is part of this agreement that there is strict adherence to Building Regulations and that where necessary the appropriate Planning Permission is sought. Failure to comply with this will be in breach of this agreement and any other Local Authority regulations. All necessary costs are the tenant’s responsibility. Such information must, if necessary to the project, be sought prior to seeking approval. You can obtain information regarding Building Regulations and Planning Permission by:

• Visiting or writing to the Department of Environment and Development Services, 3 Knowsley Place,  Angouleme Way, Bury, BL9 0EL 

• Visiting

Planning/ Building Control approval, where appropriate, is in addition to any consent given to this application and is likely to apply to the following. For example:

● Building Control

● Structural alterations (e.g. load bearing walls/ floors)

● Changes to windows

● Alterations to external drainage runs 

Vehicular Hard Standings

Off road parking/hard standings in gardens must be constructed to a suitable specification (25mm of grit sand on a sub-base of at least 150-200mm of compacted stone or brick hardcore) so as to withstand the weight of a vehicle without sinking or movement. 

If in any doubt please contact the Sustainability & Investment Team at Six Town Housing for advice on 0161 686 8000.

Separate permission will be required from Bury Council’s Highways Department (0161 253 5353) to construct pavement crossings.

Permission for hard standing will be subject to the applicant obtaining approval for the kerb crossing and payment of any costs necessary to carry out the work. You must apply for this work yourself and ensure the kerb has been lowered before crossing the footpath with a vehicle.

Laminated Flooring 

Tenants should be aware that when installing laminate flooring over existing wooden floors it is possible that any future maintenance may require the floor to be lifted in whole or part.

If we need to lift flooring for any necessary maintenance we will not take responsibility for relaying the laminate floor. The landlord will not accept responsibility for any damages or loss occurring as a result of such maintenance/ modernisation work.

If your property is on the 1st floor or above it is unlikely that your request to fit laminate flooring will be granted due to the passage of sound to the property below.

Changes to garden areas/sheds & out buildings

It is part of this agreement that there is a strict adherence to the following: 

1. Work to gardens must be carried out to a good standard using suitable materials for the intended location.

2. Fences or hedges must not exceed a height of one metre at the front of the dwelling and must not exceed two metres at the rear of the dwelling.

3. Fencing must not deviate from the original boundary lines and must be erected to a good standard from materials of an acceptable appearance and quality.

4. Note: Building of brick/block walls to garden perimeters (where none previously exist) or similarly constructed ‘sheds’ will not be permitted.

5. Where pavings are to be laid as hard standing to provide a patio area etc. these must be laid on 50mm of ash on sub-base of at least 100mm of compacted stone or brick hardcore.  

Sheds should be placed in a position within the rear garden where they will not interfere with the maintenance of the boundary fencing. The erection of ‘permanent’ sheds (e.g. made from concrete block/brick) will not be approved.

Sheds measurements should not exceed (LxWxH) 8ft x 6ft x 6ft 8in (to apex).

Conservatory applications may be considered but will carry separate specific Terms & Conditions.

Satellite dishes/aerials

Planning permission has to be obtained before fitting of aerial/ satellite dishes, if necessary. This permission is in addition to written permission granted by Six Town Housing (please see the guidance notes at the end of this document).

Aerial/satellite dishes are not to be located to the front elevation of the dwelling, unless there is no suitable alternative fixing location. No advertising is to be visible on the dish.

Dishes should be no larger than needed for good reception, within specified size or volume limits for your area and property and blend into the background as far as is reasonably possible. The aerial/ satellite dish shall not interfere with the reception of television or radio signals to any surrounding properties and shall not infringe any radio or telecommunications act. 

Aerial/ satellite dishes are to be installed by competent person who are members of the CAI (Confederation of Aerial Installers) or an RDI (Registered Digital Installer). Equipment should not be fitted by tenants/ leaseholders. 

Aerial/ satellite dishes are to be fitted to the brickwork of the property or to a separate structure, such as a strong pole set in the ground in concrete. On no account must the aerial or satellite dish be fitted to a window frame, gutter, fascia board, barge board or chimney pot.

You will be responsible for the whole cost of the installation, including any associated fees and for the making good of any damage caused by or through the fitting of the aerial or satellite dish. 

You are required to maintain the aerial/ satellite dish in a good and safe order and will be responsible for the cost of this work.

Bury Council will not be held responsible for any hire purchase or other charges that may be incurred due to the installation of the aerial/satellite dish. If you terminate your tenancy before hire purchase payments are completed you will still be responsible for any outstanding payments. 

Insurance cover is required to indemnify the Council from and against any actions, proceedings, costs, claims and damages arising out of the provision, installation and maintenance of the aerial/ satellite dish and any associated equipment. Certificates of insurance should be available for inspection at any time. 

Should it be necessary to remove the aerial/ dish to carry out maintenance to the property you may be asked to arrange removal and re-fixture at your own expense. 

It is the responsibility of the tenant/ leaseholder to remove the aerial/ satellite dish either within seven days of receipt of a letter from Six Town Housing or Bury Council and upon termination of tenancy. Failure to do so will result in removal by us and any costs will be recharged of such work (Including any administration fees). 

You are bound by any other special conditions as stated in the permission letter from Six Town Housing.    

Notes: If you live in a property that is connected to a communal satellite dish or TV aerial you will not be granted permission to erect a new aerial or satellite dish. However if the dish does not provide the signal you need then an application will be considered. 

The following information is given to provide you with some guidelines, however as planning regulations are updated and amended on a regular basis you should check any proposed installation with the planning department.

Planning permission can be sought from: Planning and Economic Development, 3 Knowsley Place, Angouleme Way, Bury, BL9 0EL

You can also call them via 0161 253 5353.

Generally planning permission is not required for a satellite dish providing:

● The dish (excluding any projecting element) when measured in any direction would not exceed 45cm if fitted to a chimney stack, 90cm if fitted to the brickwork of the dwelling or 70cm if fitted in any other position.

● If fitted to the chimney stack the dish does not project above the highest part of the stack or if fitted to the dwelling it does not project higher than the ridge of the roof.

● There is no other satellite dish fitted to the dwelling or within its boundary.

If you live in a block of flats and another resident has fitted a satellite dish to the building you must check with the Planning Department if it would be permissible to erect another dish. 

Planning permission is usually required if a C.B. aerial is attached to a dwelling and projects 3 metres or more above the ridge.

In some circumstances the decision letter will indicate that there is no right to appeal the decision. This is when it is not within our policy to allow such alteration; for example to communal spaces or for more than two CCTV cameras that record outside the boundary of the property you occupy, or gas fire installations. In these circumstances we will not respond to any further correspondence about this matter