From 1 February 2024, Bury Council is responsible for managing and maintaining all council homes previously supported by Six Town Housing.
Please use this website and other contact points as usual. Further information is also available on the council’s website.
Find out more here: Six Town Housing Update
You have our assurance that your new home will be safe, secure, clean and in good condition.
We have worked with customers to agree the standard that new tenants can expect when they move into their home. The information in this booklet lists the minimum you can expect when you rent a home from us.
During the lettings process, we will:
● Show you around a property at the earliest opportunity.
● Check the property meets our new home standards or advise you when it is due for an upgrade on our replacement programmes.
● Give you details of who to contact if you have any questions.
● Ask for your views on the process once you have settled in to your new homes.
● All sanitary ware, including tiling and grouting, will be cleaned and checked that it is in good working order and where possible fixtures will be the same style/colour.
● Toilet seats will be renewed
● Splash back tiling and vinyl floor covering will be provided
Windows and doors
● All broken glass will be replaced before you move in, or very soon after.
● Opening windows will be in good working order
● New locks will be fitted on external doors and you will be given 2 sets of keys. The doors will be free from any damage and secure
● Doors will open and close easily, will be free from damage and internal doors will be the same style where adjacent
● We will lay a path one flag wide to the front and around your property
● We will tidy and clear rubbish from your garden.
● Hedges and shrubs will be trimmed, and tree problems reported to Bury Council
● Garden sheds and other garden items will be removed unless they are in good condition. These then become your responsibility
● We will provide front perimeter fencing and a gate where appropriate
● We will explain garden boundaries and responsibilities at your viewing
● If required, we will refresh and paint up to two rooms in your property
● Walls will not have damp or mould
● We will remove hooks and nails
● We will remove any polystyrene ceiling tiles
● Your kitchen will be in good working order and include a sink, base units, wall units, a work top, splash back tiling and vinyl flooring
● There will be gas and/or electric cooker points - you are responsible for arranging an approved person to fit your appliances
● There will be washing machine connection and waste points
● The cupboards will be cleaned inside and out along with any other fittings
Heating and electrical
● We will ensure gas and electrical safety checks have been completed
● Copies of the energy efficiency and gas safety certificates will be emailed to you
● You will be required to arrange your own appointment when you move in to turn on and test the heating system once you have set up your gas and electric supplies.
● We will upgrade single sockets to double sockets throughout the property where possible.
● We will check and service your heating system every 12 months.
● We will clean your property before you move in including - floors, fixtures and fittings including bathroom and kitchen.
● Bins will be emptied.
● If in good order we will leave previous tenants improvements in place unless you tell us not to
● Smoke alarms will be tested and fitted
● Loft spaces will be cleared
● We will check that any Carelink alarms are working or removed if no longer required ● We will provide and fit vinyl flooring to your kitchen and bathroom