An illustration of two men fly-tipping bulky items

If you need to dispose of excess rubbish, please take care if you decide to pay someone to remove it for you. Council Enforcement Officers investigating fly-tipping will not know if someone has dumped rubbish without your knowledge, potentially leaving you open to legal action if it is found. A lot of waste removal companies can be trusted, but you can protect yourself against others by:

  • Asking to see the individual’s waste carrier’s license. Reputable companies will be happy to show this to you.
  • Making note of their details, including their name, company, vehicle type and vehicle registration.
  • Asking them for a receipt and keeping hold of this.

There are other ways to dispose of rubbish without relying on a waste removal company. Find out more about managing household waste here.